Friday, July 10, 2009

It's a grill!

Among the many wonderful things that happened in the past week, I am the new proud owner of a gas grill. And I'm loving it! In addition to being my favorite way to prepare meat, I'm trying grilling everything else. Today I grilled zucchini and red potatoes. I cut the zucchini in fourths, long-ways (you could cut it into coins if the zucchini is larger, but I try not to get them that large, because they get kind of seedy) and cut the potato into five or six coins. Just put a glug of olive oil on a plate, dip each side in oil, and toss it on the grill. The zucchini cooks faster, so you might want to put the potatoes on first. I'd say about three minutes per side for the zucchini, and five-ish for the potatoes. Maybe? I wasn't really clocking it. "Ish" is my favorite suffix.

When it done, you'll have something like this (please ignore the oily paper plate. I never claimed to be a professional photographer):

Grilled potatoes

Grilled zucchini

I added a touch of garlic butter to the zucchini and a dash of shredded Parmesan cheese to the potatoes. And salt, of course. So good. It makes me hungry just looking at it.

As a side note, a grill with a warming rack is an excellent way to reheat Olive Garden breadsticks. Toss it in for a few minutes, and it will be nice and hot with a slight crispness to outside and a soft inside, just like it was fresh.

So, to my list of things I can cook on a grill, add zucchini and potatoes. More to come, more to come.

5 comments:

  1. Oooo, num num! A favorite of mine on a gril - and I only had it once, was when I was a guest at a student's house and they marinated some scallops in Italian dressing for about 30 minutes, then cooked them on th gril for a few minutes - it was really quick. I swear, we couldn't eat them fast enough, they were delicious yum yum snacks!! Oo, and my inlaws have an interesting use for the grill - they don't like using the A/C too much in the summer, and using the oven heats the whole house, so they grill is their oven in the summer. The bake cakes, french fries, whatever. Geniuses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy crap, my new goal in life is to grill a cake. It's my two great loves combined: sugar and things cooked over fire! I am definitely planning a grilled pizza, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reid and I have been looking for a good, small gas grill, but haven't found the right thing yet. Where did you get yours and how much? We also have no A/C, so I'm trying to focus on slow-cooker and stovetop recipes. A gas grill would be a great addition to our culinary team!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lowes, $99 on sale. It's nearly twice as large as the other $99 one. Every now and then they go on sale for $89.

    I really like it. It's pretty sturdy, it has a bread warming rack, lights perfectly. I wish there was a thermometer, though I guess that could be obtained easily enough.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome deal! We really need to get a grill. Again with the no A/C and hate heating the house all summer long.
    Thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete

Be nice.