Thursday, July 30, 2009

Gotta get a gimmick

Apparently every generation has to have a name now, and I fall under the umbrella of Generation Y. (Real clever, guys. I'm sure someone thought long and hard on that one.) According to this NY Times article I read, Generation Y covers people born 1980-2003ish. So, ages 6 to 28.

Um, what? There's a huge difference there. I mean, my younger siblings--all Gen Y, technically--don't know what high speed dubbing is. They make fun of me for calling a portable CD player a "Discman." They're probably laughing that I'm even talking about a portable CD player.


Maybe if we were all older, you could lump us together, but while we're younger, the groupings have to be much smaller. And why do we have to have a name for each generation anyway? So that it's easier to make unfair sweeping generalizations? Do I really have that much in common (socially, physically, economically, etc.) with a six year old? No, and I don't think I will in twenty years, when they're getting jobs and finishing grad school and my (imaginary) children are in high school. It just doesn't make any sense.

1 comment:

  1. It's a product of the times that everything has to be labeled and named and catagorized. We all have to fit into a specific slot or they don't know what to do.

    ReplyDelete

Be nice.