Sunday, June 14, 2009

Well, it's raining now

It's not literally raining at this very moment. But it has been all weekend.

They assure me that it is not normally this cool in June. O rly? I seem to recall finally taking the down comforter off my bed on the first day of summer last year. It has rained every day for the last week or so. And not just "la la la, little sprinkles" but raining so hard that it went in my air conditioner and dripped out. I must have caught a half a cup of rain from my air conditioner. My gutters are clogged (though one of my lovely neighbors is going to clean them, apparently) so it all pours out right in front of my bedroom window. I rigged up a bucket and a board to redirect the water into the grass, because it surely would have flooded my bedroom.

Utah natives, of course, have no idea what to do when it rains. The right two lanes are flooded with 6 or so inches of water? Heck yes we'll drive through it. What's that? Our cars might stall? You mean you can't just go really fast and get through it? Bah.

And I'm tired of all the Facebook status updates complaining about the rain. Mostly because these same people will complain next month that it's so hot, and then that it's cold, and then that it's snowing. If you don't like variation in the weather, move to Hawaii or San Diego. Be grateful that the reservoirs are being replenished. Be grateful that you don't have to turn on your swamp cooler (which, incidentally, is not air conditioning, no matter what people might tell you).

I tried a great recipe for lemon cream cheese pressed cookies, but I had a terrible time getting the dough to come off the cookie press. So finally I just pumped out "snakes" of dough and made them into rings. Works for me. I got the recipe from epicurous, but I don't think they have it on the website anymore; I printed it in '06, and am only just now trying it. I'll give you the recipe if you want, but be advised that it does require a full cup of butter. Two sticks. That's a lot.

2 comments:

  1. Oh wow you just made me realize something. I made cookies last week (cowgirl) and it called for 1/2 cup butter, and I used two sticks. No wonder they were buttery delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to try the recipe if you still have it. I know, I'm slow to the party.

    ReplyDelete

Be nice.