Sunday, June 28, 2009

Watermelon granita

I made the most amazing watermelon granita yesterday. Gratina is basically a slushie. If you have an ice cream maker, you can make it in that, but it will be more of a sorbet. Anyway, it's super easy:

Watermelon Granita
3 c. watermelon juice
3 T. sugar
2 T. lemon juice

Mix together, pour into shallow freezer-safe dish. Put in freezer. Remove every 30 minutes and stir it with a fork. When it's frozen, eat it!

It will solidify if you leave it in long enough. Just scrape it with a fork, and you're on your way again. Yum!

Now, about watermelon juice. I guess if you have a juicer, you can use that, but I just squeezed it with my hands over a fine mesh strainer. It's very satisfying. Kind of like Lucy squashing grapes, I imagine. I strained it twice, because there is a bit of sediment, or maybe that was just my slightly grainy watermelon.

In related news, I DO NOT KNOW HOW TO PICK A WATERMELON. People tell me to thump it and it should sound hollow. But...it's not hollow, so it's never going to sound truly hollow. So someone needs to demonstrate to me what it should sound like. Sigh.

And coming soon, amazing chocolate cookies. You won't want to miss these; I ate three large cookies while baking them for "quality control" purposes.

1 comment:

  1. See and when I get a hollow sound the watermelon is grainy and yucky. I make Tarzan pick the melons. He does a good job.

    ReplyDelete

Be nice.