Thursday, June 4, 2009

The shoe is on the other foot

I'm reading an article in the New York Times about the Barney's shoe sale, and the author describes a crazy green and purple shoe. "Inconceivably," she says, "It was sitting upright and unmolested on the racks. This, of course, is because it was a size 6, a size not worn by decent people since 1938."

I have to assume that she's just jealous because she has enormous clown-shoe feet. Is size six really that ridiculous?

I wear a six. I didn't used to. I'm pretty sure there's some vanity sizing going on in shoes these days. It's clearly going on in clothing. (Twice, now, I've had to try on smaller sizes until I ended up at a four. I don't care WHAT the cut is, I'm just not a size four.) It never occurred to me that they would be doing it in shoes, too, until a friend suggested it. It makes sense. Most of my old shoes in six and a half still fit. I think my feet have shrunk a little, but not THAT much. And I was talking to another friend, and she's noticed the same trend.

What about you? Are you inexplicably wearing a smaller shoe size than you used to?

2 comments:

  1. I don't know about smaller shoes but I am still wearing two different sized shoes because, yes, my feet are two different sizes.

    ReplyDelete

Be nice.