Thursday, June 11, 2009

I remember a time when "wiki" wasn't a word in English

I've been reading the "Little House" books lately; I'd forgotten how much I enjoy them. I looked up some biographical information, mostly to find out when she died. It was 1957.

Think about the changes she saw in her lifetime. She went from covered wagons to cars. Electricity! Indoor plumbing! Telephones! Television! ("What's a re-run?") It's crazy to think of the things that came about during the course of her life.

It makes me wonder if people will think that about my lifetime. Well, I do remember a time before the internet, when we had to look things up in encyclopedias to write research papers, instead of just ripping of Wikipedia.

1 comment:

  1. I remember back when websites were not ----.com; you had to know a long funky stream of numbers and email was brand new.
    Tarzan thinks we should get rid of all our encyclopedias but I still want them. I'm sentimental that way.

    ReplyDelete

Be nice.