Wednesday, June 24, 2009

1 rule: Don't

Have you seen these utterly obnoxious "1 rule" ads? There's always a before and after picture. Sometimes just of guts, sometimes with heads chopped off, frequently clearly photoshopped...Well, it got me thinking. How often do we see before and after photos like this:


All the time, right? I have scientifically determined what makes the "after" body. Are you ready for this? Smile.

Think about it. The only thing consistent in every before/after is that they're not smiling in the first one, and they are in the second! Apparently a smile makes you look 15 pounds lighter! A tan and makeup also help, but it's the absence of the scowl that really does it.

In other news, I hate the "1 rule" ads and am very sick of them. I don't want to see anyone's fat gut, and frankly I can't think of anyone who does. If anything, it makes me not want to click on it, because I don't want to encourage them. I've got one rule for them: don't put shirtless guts in your advertisements.

I'm so sad that I had to say that. What has become of our civilization?

7 comments:

  1. See, I think the smile helps, but it's the tan, hair-do, and makeup that makes all the difference. call me biased, as a cosmetologist, but I think that makes a bigger difference. Amazing what a good hair cut, the right hair color, and some basic makeup can do. For EVERYONE.

    ReplyDelete
  2. But that's my point. The "after" girl in this ad doesn't seem to have any more makeup on, and she certainly isn't tan. So the only variable that is consistent across all before/afters is the smile.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you think they photoshop the gut ON or OFF? Do we start with pretty skinny people, or fat people with pretty potential?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Furthermore, I think someone who does the photoshopping should write a book about it. There's gotta be some good stories in there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Both, I think. It's easy enough to skinny someone up, but sometimes it looks like they just stretched out their stomach and thighs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish someone would skinny-up some of my pictures. I might post more of them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah, smile, make-up, tan, hair, lighting, clothing and height all combine in the 'after' image to make a whole new person.

    ReplyDelete

Be nice.