Wednesday, May 6, 2009

What does Black Amethyst smell like, anyway?

Have you been to Bath and Body Works lately? No? Me neither. You know why? Because the smells are crazy. Butterfly flower? Rainkissed Leaves? Moonlight Path? Sea Island Cotton? These are actual scent names at B&BW. I don't know what difference moonlight makes in a fragrance. Does a black amethyst smell different from a purple one? Bah.

But, a friend forwarded an e-mail today that says they are bringing back the classics! Sun-ripened Raspberry! Freesia! Brown Sugar & Fig! And my favorite...Pearberry! Now, I'll admit that some of the classic scents are strangely named too. (Coco Cabana, anyone? And Night-blooming Jasmine. Again with the night.) But at least many of them I could recognize. Pink Grapefruit, Coconut, Strawberry Lemonade...they're actual things with actual smells. Of course, if I remember properly, I liked Flowering Herbs (maybe? I thought it was yellow, not pink), and that's really unspecific.

Moral of the story: If a scent you liked was discontinued, check to see if it's back.

4 comments:

  1. The only problem is that they are not doing creamy body washes anymore, which I use to remove my eye makeup. Nothing does it better. I'm sad about that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was at a B&BW with a friend a while back and we were commenting on how the names were all amazing, and the NAMES actually made them smell good. So I dug up some musky cinnamon one she had claimed to love, covered the label and had her smell it - she hated it, until I showed her the name, and then she loved it again.

    Tricky, tricky marketing.

    Also, I am often tempted to actually eat the pink grapefruit. Haven't done it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always wanted a job coming up with product names. Nail polishes, specifically.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think adding 'Night' to the name is supposed to make it sound sexier.

    ReplyDelete

Be nice.