Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Savvy?

I went to see Hale Theater's production of "Treasure Island" this evening. It was great! They have actual water! That people jump/fall/are thrown into! It's great. If you're around, you should go see it.

Also, I didn't realize how much Pirates of the Caribbean rips off Treasure Island. I had a copy of Treasure Island as a kid, but it was abridged, and even as a third grader, I was offended by the idea of reading an abridged book.

However, there are several books I've read that I wish had been abridged versions: Anna Karenina, Les Miserables. I read an abridged Count of Monte Cristo (which I didn't realized was abridged until I was 3/4 done) and I don't feel like I missed anything. So I guess the moral of the story is that abridged books aren't bad. And live theater with twelve-foot pools of water? Awesome.

2 comments:

  1. I've always been opposed to the idea of abridged books, too. (something mom or dad said?) but considering I have, like, 8 books that I started and still haven't finished- I'm not dead yet! I should probably get on board with those.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Moby Dick should be abridged. 'Mad About You' had a bit about that. Man...boat...whale...chomp.
    It was very funny.

    ReplyDelete

Be nice.