Saturday, May 23, 2009

Let me explain

You may be wondering why I wanted to know your favorite Phil Collins song.  Well, a few days ago, I was driving home from work with the windows down, and I found a Phil Collins song on the radio.  It was kind of cranked up so I could hear it over the road noise, and I couldn't help but think how funny it was to be at a stoplight with "Against All Odds" blaring.

And then I got to thinking about how he has such a diverse musical library.  From "Sussudio" to "In the Air Tonight" to "Another Day in Paradise" to the soundtrack songs...he has it all, really.

My two favorites, if you were wondering, are "Against All Odds" and "Separate Lives."  They kind of compete for first, but it's pretty much dead even.  My favorite single line, though, is "Got your ticket, got your suitcase, got your leaving smile" from "Can't Stop Loving You."

There's a great episode of This American Life that features Mr. Collins and his awesome ability to write break-up songs.  My favorite line from the episode is "A break-up song won't ever suggest you start online dating."  Indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be nice.