Wednesday, May 20, 2009

The "average" person

Do you ever compare yourself to "average" person statistics? Like, today in the New York Times, there's an article about a soda tax that says, "The typical person now consumes 190 calories a day from sugary drinks, up from 70 a day in the late 1970s." Dude. My average day includes 0 calories from sugary drinks. Occasionally I'll have a can of soda, but that's generally what, 120 calories? I don't even know.

Or a couple years ago, when the personal savings rate was negative? I was saving nearly 30%. So when you consider that there are people like me who are way off in one direction, that means that there are people who are way off in the other direction. It's kind of crazy. That means that people were spending hundreds and hundreds of dollars more than they made, or are drinking hundreds and hundreds of calories.

In other news, the Food section in today's Times is very disappointing. With the exception of an interesting recipe for homemade ginger ale. That I would try. Except how to get fresh ginger juice without an extractor...?

3 comments:

  1. It's been awhile since I've commented, but it's also been awhile since I've posted on my own blog. I guess I took a little break. I totally love that you blog more! I have read each post...it just may take me awhile.

    Anyway, I know what you mean about those statistics. It always makes me think about "those people" that drink multiple leaders of soda a day, or chose to have no children, or have 10's of thousands of dollars in consumer debt. They are all the same in my mind: "those people."

    Also, I found a food blog that I just had to share with you:
    http://conversationswithacupcake.blogspot.com/

    It looks foody and sassy...right up your alley! Thanks for keeping up the pace with the posting. It's a good reminder that sometimes you can just post a little thought, instead of thinking too much about blogging. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a fun site! Thanks for sharing!

    Yeah, if I had to come up with a set number of words, it would kill me. I finally realized that people want lots of updates, not necessarily long ones. People want something new to read every time they come back, not a novel once a week. I'd blame our culture's short attention span, except that I totally do it too.

    And yes, the consumer debt people scare me. Working mortgages, I'd see people with $25k or $50k just in revolving debt. How can people live like that?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I sometimes do the math with those "average American" quotes just to keep the brain in tune. Makes you wonder who is exceeding their incoome by 60% yeah?

    ReplyDelete

Be nice.