Monday, April 20, 2009

Cheesy zucchini

I did make pesto chicken pizza last night, as prophesied, but the recipe needs some tweaking. I had a Roma tomato, but it was old and a bit dodgy, so I didn't use it. It really needed the tomato. And I don't even like tomatoes. Plus, there was too much leftover. But never fear. It will come eventually.

I was planning on having chicken salad on crackers as the main course this evening, but I don't have any Club crackers. I've tried it on garlic Triscuits, but I didn't like it as much. So instead, I had hummus with toasted pita and cheesy zucchini. Why? Because I'm white. I always have to laugh when there are SWPL entries that I do like. But I don't like a lot of the things attributed to me, so I guess it's okay.

I love zucchini. It is probably my favoritest green vegetable. Oh, do avocados count? That's my favorite green vegetable. But it's more like a condiment than a vegetable, it's so rich and creamy. Anyway, zucchini is frequently out of season, so I buy Bird's Eye yellow and green squash. It's awesome.

Cheesy zucchini
Zucchini
Butter
Garlic salt
Parmesan cheese
Cheddar cheese

Saute zucchini in a little butter and some garlic salt. With a nonstick pan and the ice on the frozen veggies, you hardly need any fat--I just use a few spritzes of I Can't Believe It's Not Butter...Spray (Fabio, anyone?). If you're using fresh zucchini, by all means go crazy with the butter.

Let it carmelize. Like, good and brown. That's where all the flavor is. And if you use the frozen kind, it's crinkle cut, so you get fun lines. Actually, when I use fresh, I cut it with a garnisher, so I still get the fun lines. Also, it's a lot faster and easier to cut vegetables with a garnisher. A LOT.

See, look at that delicious carmelization:


When it’s ready, add some parmesan cheese. I typically eschew the green bottle (shaky cheese, as I call it) for actual Parmesan cheese, but this is one time when I always go for the shaky cheese. When it toasts, it has a nice flavor, almost nutty. Turn off the heat and add the cheddar. And by cheddar, I mean whatever cheese you have around—cheddar, colby jack, Mexican, Italian, etc. I pretty much always have cheddar around, so that's my default. When the cheese is melted, you’re ready to eat!

I suppose if you wanted, you could use actual garlic in the butter, but I never cook with fresh garlic. It stinks. It makes the whole house stink. It makes me stink. So when I can, I use garlic salt. When I need “real” garlic, I use the jarred garlic you can find in the produce section. It’s much easier to keep a jar of garlic in the fridge than chop up a clove of garlic.

So there's my dinner. Hummus (with olive oil) toasted pita, cheesy zucchini. Yum.

I'm afraid my directions are so random and tangential. It might be because I don't have a real recipe that I'm following. You could use Creole seasoning instead of garlic salt, for instance.

In other news, the battery in the fob for my car alarm/door locks died several weeks ago. I couldn't find the right battery at Sprawlmart, alas. I thought I had seen a Batteries Plus somewhere, so I looked it up. Yeah, it's right by my house. I drive past it at least twice a week. I was in and out in two minutes. So, that's exciting.

I also got my last $500 from my amended taxes (thank you, Obama & Co.) and my DSW rewards certificate. So it's been a pretty good day. I'm going to get a simple little gas grill and a garage door opener. Oh, and pay my condo insurance bill. Don't worry, I'll post a picture of whataever shoes I get. I already know which ones I want. I just hope they're still in stock.

And for dessert, a Cadbury Creme Egg from last year. Don't worry, they've been in the freezer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be nice.