Monday, April 27, 2009

Bonkers

Does anyone remember Bonkers candy? For years--literally, years--I have been trying to remember the name of that candy. I would describe it to people. "You remember that candy where the inside was slightly darker than the outside, and stuff would fall on people in the elevators?"

Amazingly, people didn't know what I was talking about. But last night, I was talking to someone about "Follow that Bird," which he had recently Netflixed, and he remarked how so many people don't know what he's talking about. Or when he mentions Bonkers.

I was beginning to think I had made the whole thing up. But then without even realizing it, this near-stranger solved one of the most irritating mysteries in my life with one sentence. I think I nearly jumped out of my seat I was so excited that he knew about them, too. But then he started talking about how he got them when he was a kid and was so disappointed when nothing fell on him when he ate them, and I knew that I wasn't the only one. These things existed, and other people thought that giant fruit would fall on them!

I know it's still early, but this could be the highlight of my week.




3 comments:

  1. Oh goodness. I totally remember that candy and those commercials. Had completely forgotten about them of course until today...but remember them nonetheless.

    Isn't YouTube great?!?! Who in the world had a recording of that commerical anyways?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember them now that you mention it. Where they as good as they sound like they are?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember them being delicious, but I was only a kid.

    ReplyDelete

Be nice.