Friday, April 17, 2009

American Idol

I will tell you right now that I don't watch American Idol. I'll catch bits here and there, but I don't DVR it (not having a DVR to do it with) and I don't go out of my way to watch it. If there's anything else even remotely interesting on, I'll watch that. If you talk to me about how great Adam or Danny is, I will look at you blankly. If you talk about the blind guy (Scott, right?) or the weird guy with the stupid black nail polish and weird arrangement of "Ring of Fire," I'll be with you. I do know who Allison is. She's got very red hair.

Anyway. I'm just saying I don't know much about American Idol, but I do know that they frequently have a "year you were born" night (thank you, Wikipedia!). It's kind of sad to see how young these people are (do you realize that people born in 1991 can buy tobacco now?! Although I think it's 1990 in Utah. But I digress.). It makes me feel old. But the real fun comes in when you think about what song you would do.

I was born way back in '81, when the hair was high and interest rates were higher. Once again, we turn to Wikipedia, which is an excellent resource for finding a list of all the albums released the year you were born, but not as the sole source for important scholarly research. While it would be cool to do something like Billy Joel's "You're My Home," that doesn't win ballgames. Or singing contests. So I've narrowed it down to REO Speedwagon's "Keep on Loving You" or--and this is what I'm leaning to--Journey's "Don't Stop Believing." Thanks to Rock Band 2, all the kids know that song, as do the slightly older Idol fans from the first time it was popular. It's the perfect setup. Now all I have to do is go on American Idol.

What would you sing from the year you were born?

Also, seriously considering pesto chicken pizza for dinner.

4 comments:

  1. Wow... 1978 had many good songs, but if I'm trying to appeal to today's voting crowd, I'd probably go with Billy Joel's "Just the Way You Are." They may not know it, but the lyrics are so tender, it will appeal to anyone. There is one verse that seems to be speaking more towards a woman, but they don't get to sing the whole song anyway, so I'd just skip that verse.

    It was a tough choice, though. "Baker Street," "Baby Come Back," "If I Can't Have You," "Because the Night," "FM" by Steely Dan which would mean nothing to the audience, "Copacabana,".... Lots of songs I love, lots of familiar songs, but not songs that would win a competition!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the kids might know "Baker Street" because of the Foo Fighters. Although I don't know if kids even know the Foo Fighters these days. All I know is that I used to know every song on "Now that's what I call music" albums, and now I'm lucky if I've heard of the artist.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Boy, that's the truth. My students will talk about something from pop culture and I'll have to ask, "Is that a person? a band? a song?" It's the circle of life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This may be cheesy but I would do "I Need To Be In Love" by The Carpenters because Karen is an alto and I can usually reach all the notes in her songs.

    ReplyDelete

Be nice.