Tuesday, September 16, 2008

just checking in

So. I neglect the blog terribly. You know why? Because there's nothing to say! My life consists of going to work, coming home, killing time, going to sleep, enjoying Friday night, cleaning and running errands and all those things I put off all week on Saturday, church and enjoying Sunday night, and then it all starts over again. And even I enjoy Friday and Sunday nights (which seems to be the trend lately) it's also a source of some frustration. Because nothing can ever be uncomplicated.

Of course, there are those random days where I find a house and job in Arizona that I want and seriously consider moving home, even though I have a good job here with the best co-workers I'll probably ever find. I don't really have any close friends in Arizona anymore. My life is here now, and I kind of hate that. Possibly because it's still not much of a life.

I miss my family. It stinks to be the only one who lives out of state. Shovelling snow stinks. Six months of winter extra stinks. Wearing nylons every day is terrible, and some of my shoes literally stink. It stinks not knowing who to call to drive you to the airport, having no one to kill bugs or pick you up when your car is in the shop. It stinks having to go to the store to get your own medicine when you're sick and having to make your own dinner when you're just too tired.

It's starting to feel less and less like I'm pretending to be an adult , and more and more that I actually am. That's scary. This is what being a grownup is? It somehow seemed like it would be more fun and exciting. Less sad and frustrating. Less working and budgeting and more carefree good times. Isn't that what I've been promised? Could the quarter-century of media I've consumed have misled me? Is it possible that most days consist of getting up, going to work, coming home, killing time, and going to bed? Is not every day full of adventure and intrigue and fabulous hair and makeup? This is it? This is what I've been looking forward to? Crap.

7 comments:

  1. Well, that's pretty much what I've discovered so far, as well. But I will say that all of that is much more enjoyable when you're sharing it all with your best friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure that wasn't intended to be hurtful, but, uh, yeah. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  3. those bastards in the Adulthood marketing department really fed you a line of crap about growing up, didn't they?

    ReplyDelete
  4. cathie: it took me a second to recognize you (your hair is longer and a dark brown), but glad you found us. i would say we'll keep in touch, but from the title of your blog it doesn't look like you update much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I *try* to update, it's just that there's nothing exciting to report. But, I'm WAY excited for the baby!! (I've been lurking for a while!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Of course that wasn't meant to be hurtful. HOPEFUL. It gets better.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Word.
    I was SO much cooler and fun in high school and college.

    ReplyDelete

Be nice.